Long term care insurance is particularly important for women
for two major reasons...
Women are more likely to be caregivers.
1. Women provide between 60% and 75% of informal care.
2. Women typically do not abandon their care giving responsibilities due to employment.
3. Women who are employed and provide care lose and estimated $565,000 in wage wealth through decreased Social Security benefits and pension benefits.
4. Women who provide care for an ill or disabled spouse are 6 times more likely to suffer from depression or anxiety.
Women are more likely to need care.
1. Women are 10 times more likely than men to reach age 85 and are therefore far more likely to go into a nursing home.
2. Women are more likely to suffer from Alzheimer’s disease or stroke.
3. Women over the age of 75 are far less likely to be married and by 85 76% are widowed.
4. Women who are single or widowed are 110% more likely to exhaust policy benefits than married men and 70% more likely to exhaust policy benefits than married women.
If you choose not to be a statistic, call Cornerstone Insurance (713-948-0707) to find out more about protecting your assets and the women you love.
Sources: Older American 2008; Key Indicators of Well Being, Federal Interagency Forum on Aging Related Statistics; Family Caregiver Alliance 2009.